The Earth element shows itself climately as dampness, in Late Summer we can see and feel this dampness everywhere, the morning dewy grass, the damp quality of good soil and the dampness in the air. The plump ripe fruit and vegetables similarly have that holding quality of moistness or dampness.
In balance this moisture rich environment is nourishing and life giving. Too much dampness in nature however can lead to rotting as there is waterlogging which impedes the flow of life giving oxygen....and so it is also in our bodies. Too much dampness in the body can lead to sluggishness in our digestion and energy levels generally, we may feel heavy limbed and achy, people who have arthritis may feel particularly incomfortable as we go into Late Summer. In our minds we can feel foggy headed, have a poor memory and find it hard to concentrate and get going in the morning.
Here are some ways we can keep our Earth element healthy and balanced with food.
- Watch our intake of sweet food. Sweetness is the taste of Late Summer but an excess of any sweet food can lead to the stagnation; artificial and processed sugar is particularly damaging to the spleen meridian.
- Assist your digestion but chewing your food thoroughly
- Avoid eating late at night, the Stomach and Spleen have their lowest energy between 7 and 9pm
- Avoid cold and raw food in excess as these create dampness in the body
- Enjoy yellow and orange food which help tonify any Earth deficiencies
- Eat plenty of cooked greens this season as this will cut through any accumulated dampness
Lots of love to you on this monday and enjoy some Late Summer feasting, love Carol xx